Recognising the specialist characteristics of data centres, we have developed class-leading expertise in this sector.
We work with occupiers to create asset management opportunities aligned to their own strategic/business objectives, harnessing the strength of their covenant to extract value and create opportunities. This includes:
- consolidating costly wholesale/retail contracts currently with Carrier Neutral Hotels into “own brand” dedicated facilities
- sale and lease back of technical/data centre assets
- agreeing to a lease as a deployment model and exploiting surplus operational accommodation.
Advising and working closely with specialist developers, we will help shape the data centre as an institutionally acceptable asset class. Areas worked on include:
- development of lease formats which meet the operational requirements of the tenant but protect investment value
- addressing investors’ concerns
- impact and application of sinking funds to support tenant repair responsibilities
- impact/value created by scale of capital allowance created by new DC development
- valuation/investment advice on maximizing/extracting value of the completed investment
marketing of completed investments.
Because of the very specific nature of data centres, we regularly advise traditional and institutional investors on how they function, so that they have a sound understanding of them as an asset class and the potential and risks involved. This includes:
- market characteristics
- scale of capital involved in fit outs and operation
- opportunities created by tenant inertia
- understanding the business activities conducted from these facilities
- exploitation of upgrades/expansions – value creation opportunities and ultimately acquiring these assets on their behalf.