1.1 Alder King LLP is a leading independent commercial property and planning consultancy offering expert advice on commercial property and land. Its registered office is Pembroke House, 15 Pembroke Road, Clifton, Bristol. BS8 3BA.
1.2 This policy has been written to ensure that Alder King complies with the Data Protection Act 2018. This Act contains the principles affecting the processing of information relating to living and identifiable individuals, known as data subjects.
1.3 Alder King is the Data Controller in respect of the personal information that we process in connection with our business and this privacy notice sets out how Alder King use and protect the information you provide to us and the types of personal data we may need to collect about you when you interact with us. It also explains how we store your data and the steps we take to keep it safe.
2.0 Information We Collect
2.1 The personal data we collect will vary depending on the nature of the service we are providing and relationship between us and may include the following:
- Where you contact us via our website: your name, position, company, telephone numbers and email
- Where you contact us in person or by telephone: contact information including your name, telephone numbers, email address, postal address together with demographic information such as preferences and interests
- Where required by law: copies of documents to prove identity, such as picture ID (passport or driving license), birth certificate, HMRC tax notification together with evidence of address, such as utility or council tax bills, bank statements
- Where entering into a contract, e.g. with supplier/employees: financial information such as bank sorting code and account number
- Where visiting our offices or a managed site: your image and/or vehicle registration may be captured on CCTV
- Where completing a client survey: other relevant information
- Where you engage with us on social media: your username
- Where you have given a third-party permission to share the information they hold on you with us: as may legitimately be required
3.0 Why and what we do with the information we gather
3.1 We require the information we collect for the following reasons and to understand your needs and provide you with a better service/relationship:
- To fulfil our contract (e.g. terms of engagement) which may involve passing your details to a third party. This is done based on our contractual obligations, legal obligations and legitimate interests.
- To meet the requirements of our business which may involve the use of email, telephone number and photos on our website, business cards and marketing publications. This is done based on agreed terms with our clients and the information is used for legitimate interests.
- Internal record keeping, to enable us to respond to queries, complaints and potential future interests. This is done based on our contractual obligations, legal obligations and legitimate interests.
- We may periodically send promotional letters and or emails about information which we think you may find interesting. This is done based on legitimate interests.
- On occasion we may use your information to contact you regarding business and or social events which we think you may find interesting. This is done based on legitimate interests.
- From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. This is done based on legitimate interests.
3.2 Should you wish you can find details of how to change the way we use your data in the Your Rights section below.
3.3 Please be aware that should you choose not to share certain personal data with us, or refuse certain contact permissions, we may not be able to act on your behalf or provide a relevant service.
4.0 Legal Basis
4.1 There are six legal reasons by which a company may collect and process personal data:
- Legal Obligation
- Vital Interest
- Public Task
- Legitimate Interest.
4.2 In the course of our business Alder King may collect and process data for the following four legal reasons:
- Consent – we will collect and process your data where you confirm you would like to receive specific marketing material.
- Contractual obligation – we will collect and process your data when entering into Terms of Engagement (ToE). By agreeing to our ToE you also give consent for personal information to be shared with third party contractors and suppliers, as and when required, to meet specific contractual obligations.
- Legal obligation – we will collect and process your data where it is necessary for us to do so to comply with the law.
- Legitimate interest – we will collect and process your data where it might be reasonably expected for us to do so as part of the running of our business.
5.1 We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place reasonable technological and operational measures, suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect and hold. Where possible identifiable information will be encrypted or minimised.
5.2 Personal data is processed and stored in the UK. However, there may be occasions where your data is accessed by staff while working outside the UK. This will be in the rare case, and if we do this, we aim to make sure the information is secure and properly protected, relying on adequacy decisions or putting in place appropriate safeguards (e.g. European Commission’s Standard Contractual Clauses).
5.3 Our systems are regularly monitored and updated.
6.1 Alder King will process personal data for as long as is necessary for the purpose for which it was collected and will store the personal data for a maximum of 12 years, in accordance with the company’s ISO 9001 accredited Quality Assurance system.
7.0 Your Rights
7.1 At any point while Alder King is processing or in the possession of your personal data you have the following rights:
- Right of access – you have the right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you.
- Right of rectification – you have a right to correct data that we hold about you that is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right to be forgotten – in certain circumstances you can ask for the data we hold about you to be erased from our records.
- Right to restriction of processing – where certain conditions apply you have a right to restrict the processing.
- Right of portability – you have the right to have the data we hold about you transferred to another organisation.
- Right to object – you have the right to object to certain types of processing such as direct marketing.
- Right to judicial review: in the event that Alder King refuses your request under rights of access, we will provide you with a reason why. Should this situation arise you have the right to complain, see Complaints.
7.2 Where a third party is involved in the processing of your personal data, requests received in relation to the above will be forwarded.
7.3 Alder King endeavour to comply with all data subject rights as required by law and within a reasonable timeframe.
8.1 Should you wish to make a complaint about the way your personal data is processed, or how your complaint has been handled, you have the right to lodge a complaint directly with the supervisory authority and Alder King’s Data Protection Officer.
8.2 Email us at; DPO@Alderking.com Or write to us at; Data Protection Officer, Alder King LLP, Pembroke House, 15 Pembroke Road, Clifton, Bristol. BS8 3BA.
8.3 The Information Commissioner’s Office regulate the use of personal information in the UK and can be contacted via their website at; https://ico.org.uk by telephone on; 0303 123 1113 or by post at; Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF